Sunday, July 8, 2007

It's (been) HOT HOT HOT...

People will say that the heat over here is OK because it's a 'dry' heat. I'm sorry, but I am going to call BS on that statement. 110 is freaking hot, no matter if it's dry. wet, or somewhere in the middle. I am starting to think that getting a rental house without AC, or any shade trees, may have been a tactical error on my part.

My dad's memorial service is on Thursday at 3p at St Johns Episcopal Church in Kirkland. Please feel free to come if you are so inclined. I have been scanning a number photos of him over the last week or so, for distribution to my family, and it is interesting to watch him grow from a baby, to a teenager, to a soldier, to a teacher, and finally the father that I recognize. It's been a neat way to get to 'know' him all over again.

For those that are interested, the Tour de France started in London yesterday with Fabien Cancellara stomping the field in the prologue. Today was stage one, from London to Canterbury, and little Robbie McEwan (with the unfortunately named son of Ewan McEwan) showed why he's the fastest man on two wheels in taking the win out from under Tom Boonen and Thor Hushovd. Putting aside all the allegations of doping (most riders probably do) and cheating (through masking the doping agents, which most riders probably do), I don't think there is a more compelling sporting event in the world. The drama that unfolds every day on the roads of France is totally engaging and highly entertaining. So suspend your disbelief for awhile and tune into the Versus network over the next three weeks, you may find it odd to watch skinny little men in tights pedal around the countryside, but you may also just get sucked into the fun and excitement that is the TOUR DAY FRANCE...

No comments: