Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Major Stanley Smith Honeywell, US Army (Ret.)



HONEYWELL, Maj. STANLEY SMITH, US Army (Ret.)

Born April 8, 1921 in Everett, WA to Sylvia and Smith Honeywell. Stanley peacefully passed away, surrounded by family, on June 26, 2007 in Kirkland, WA.

Stanley graduated from Mt Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, CA in 1939 and attended junior college in Marin County, CA until enlisting in the US Army in 1943. He served both stateside and in the Philippines as an NCO personnel clerk. During the post-war years Stanley served in the occupation government in Japan. While living in Japan, he was able to climb to the summit of Mt. Fuji.

From 1951 to 1952 Stanley served in Korea, where he earned a Purple Heart, a Bronze Star and a received his commission to Captain. He served with the 963rd Field Artillery, which was one of the first racially integrated battalions in the US Army. He married Phyllis in 1952 in San Francisco, CA and they soon traveled the globe as members of the US Army. During the time in the Army, they were stationed in Oklahoma, Germany, Texas, and finally, Seattle. He retired as a Major from the US Army in 1963.

In 1963, the family settled in Redmond, WA and, after receiving his teaching degree in 1965 from the UW, Stanley began his second career as a teacher in the Bellevue School District. Initially he taught at Three Points Elementary in Medina, in 1967, he moved to Ardmore Elementary in Bellevue. While at Ardmore he taught in an experimental 'open concept' environment, and oversaw the model rocketry program, until his retirement in 1983.

Stanley had a third career, that as a tour bus driver/guide for Grayline Tours in Seattle from 1968 through 1989. While with Grayline, he helped create the scripts for most of their tours, working his love of the quirky history of Seattle and Western Washington into his work.

After his retirement from Grayline, Stanley was a volunteer for Hopelink Food Bank in Redmond, WA, picking up food donations.

Stanley had a level head and a steady hand in raising all six of his children, and was an active participant in the lives of his grandchildren. His quiet voice and calm demeanor will be missed by us all.

Stanley is survived by his wife of 55 years, Phyllis, daughters Cathy Smith (Tom) and Lisa Close, and sons Scott (Lori), David (Melanie), Paul (Karen), and Philip (Amy). He is also survived by his seven grandsons and one granddaughter. He was preceded in death by his father Smith, mother Sylvia and his younger sister, Peggy.

There will be a memorial service at 3:00 pm on July 12, 2007 at St Johns Episcopal Church in Kirkland, WA.

In lieu of flowers please make a donation to Hopelink (www.hope-link.org or P.O.Box 3577 Redmond, WA 98073) or the charity of your choice.

I miss my dad...

2 comments:

Naomi said...

Phil, what a lovely tribute to your father. I love that he helped write the scripts for the Seattle tour, how fun!

You will miss him always.

hugs,
Naomi

Susan L. said...

Hi Phil,

You don't know me, but I was a student of your dad's at Ardmore from 1975 through 1978. He was one of the most memorable and wonderful teachers I had in my life. I didn't know he'd passed on till very recently, and am sorry I couldn't have been at his service. I still have so many stories I could share about him!

I sent him a letter several years ago--I wish I'd saved a copy--letting him know the impact he'd had on my life, and how fondly I remembered him. I hope he got to see it.

I loved your dad, and he played a big part in making me who I am today. He was the one who recommended me to go to the Pacific Northwest Young Author's Conference when I was in 5th or 6th grade, which I'll never forget. And it was on his recommendation that I got into the Humanities program at Hyak Jr. High, which introduced me to my other favorite teacher. He also let me tutor other kids, some older than me, when I'd completed the entire spelling program midway through 4th grade.

So now I'm 41, and I actually write and edit for a living. Your dad was the first person to give me the confidence to pursue this course, and I'll always remember and love him for it.

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was a great man.

Best,
Susan ("Susie") Littlefield